Wednesday, April 15, 2009

'What'.....Is So Funny??

Earlier this evening, we were preparing for a walk around the neighborhood as it is 60 degrees out right now....heatwave! 
I was in the closet in the living room getting a hat and jacket for Katie. In the kitchen, I overheard my husband, Mike, talking to our son, Noah. 
Noah obviously did not hear Mike because he immediately asks, "What?"
We all have our pet peeves, but for Mike it is the reply, "What?" to something misunderstood. I next overhear him coaching Noah in the kitchen. 
"Noah," Mike says, frustrated. "You do not say "what" when you cannot hear someone. You say, "pardon me".....
Noah, obviously not hearing or understanding, again asks, "What?"
"Noah!" 
Mike tried again, bless his soul. "Do not say "what". You should only say "excuse me" or "pardon me" if you cannot understand."
"What?"
"Never mind!" (loud sigh from Mike) "Go get your shoes on."
By this time, I am laughing my head off in the closet. It is too funny!! Gwen comes into the living room at this time and sees me laughing.....
"What?" is Gwen's question to me, to which the irony of it all only makes me laugh all the harder.
So, I go to the kitchen to dress Katie in the coat and hat and Mike sees me giggling. 
"What?" he asks, confused.
At this point, I am totally laughing and leaning on the table till tears are falling. I replay to Mike what I overheard and what Gwen said and the humor finally sinks in to him and he and Gwen and I are all laughing our heads off over all the irony.
Like a perfectly choreographed scene, Matt comes back in the door right then. He sees us all laughing and asks:
"What?"

No comments: