Saturday, March 5, 2011

Lenten Sacrifice

Every year I wonder what we, as a family, can sacrifice for the Church's season of Lent. Since our children are still below the age of individual sacrifice, we still do a family-type sacrifice so that all may participate and embrace the season of sacrifice from a young age. Most years, it has been the obvious candy or sweets or desserts we abstain from during Lent.
The past three years, however, were their own living Lent, as our children always seemed to start off the week of Ash Wednesday with the stomach virus and it would "remain with us" like the very worst visitor only to rid ourselves of the infernal bug and stumble into Holy Week half awake and weak. Though that certainly was good penance, I do tend to hope that this Lent will be different, as one can never wish for that type of seven week prayer life.
"Please, Lord....if the two year-old would at least stop getting sick everywhere..."
Since I am not pregnant and our smallest one is no longer a baby and I am not on a doctor prescribed low-carb diet...I thought we could do something very different from the norm, but still be a sacrifice for the family. So, this year, we are going to eat a vegetarian diet. My husband is...rightfully...concerned about the children's protein intake, so I am keeping eggs, dairy, and cheese in the staple diet.
The truth is that I grew up on a farm. A hog farm. Meat was an everyday staple in my diet and my father was a consistent meat-and-potatoes man. I do not think that I have gone more than 3 or 4 days without some kind of meat in my diet. Myself, my husband, and our kids all really like meat...especially beef and chicken.
I have never done something like this before, but I think that we are up to making this sacrifice. The truth is that I could do little more than make chocolate chip cookies when I was first married and I have come a long way through the tutelage of my cooking-background husband, but I admit that I am a bit daunted, but nevertheless ready (or more ready after reading about 10 library books on vegetarian cooking).
I expect there to be a mild rebellion with our children, but we shall see...
I will be posting recipes that worked well for a large family with a research sample of 8 and sharing a little of the humor and situations that are sure to accompany this journey.
And, as the words of the priest will remind us this Wednesday, "Woman, you are from dust and to dust you shall return."
Life is short. We will find joy in our sacrifices if they are offered in the right spirit.
Always with me are the words of St. Therese of Lisieux: "Do small things with great Love."
Amen.

No comments: