Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mardi Gras......Well, A Dinner off For Me! : )

It's Shrove Tuesday!
I am preparing for Ash Wednesday and my grocery list has increased itself in variety from the fruits and vegetables departments by quite a bit. I already bake bread weekly for our family's use, but I will try to incorporate more rustic and grainy breads into my usual baking. It will be somewhat a sacrifice to me in the planning and an increase in labor to put wholesome meals on the table, but part of my offering is to do it willingly and with a smile...and that means no grumbles as I will have to remind myself some of these days to come, which I humbly admit that I will struggle with. I may even have to put a post-it note on every square inch of the kitchen and dining room to remember, but I will try to believe that it will not go to that degree. We shall see what is in store for these next seven weeks.
For tonight, however, my Mardi Gras includes the children's decorating the dining room and a full meal deal from Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Ahhh....it has probably been six months since we've had fried chicken and I think that, coupled with my husband offering to pick it up on the way home, makes for a fantastic and relaxing afternoon (so I can fit in a blog post. LOL!)
Tomorrow, as in tradition also, we will fast and have two very small meals and Pakistani Mash Daal that I picked up from Catholic Relief Services several years ago when the rice bowls were handed out. We liked it so much as a family that we eat it frequently throughout the year, but it has become a family tradition on Ash Wednesday for supper. The recipe is below.
I remind myself, as the ashes to symbolize my sin are placed on my forehead tomorrow and the words, "Woman, you are from dust and to dust you shall return." are said over me, that life is relatively short and we are all prone to sin. It's all about what I do with what God calls of me that will make a difference to those close to me during my life. Know, love, and serve God with a joyful heart. That is the core of our calling as I am teaching my First Communicant from the Catechism.
Sure, I fail. Daily. But every day I will get up and try again to do better than yesterday.
I pray that you may receive many graces during your Lenten journeys this year.
God Bless!


PAKISTANI MASH DAAL: (copied from CRS web site; link below)

  • 3 cups dried lentils
  • 1½ onion, thinly sliced
  • 5 cups water
  • 1½ tsp chili powder
  • ¼ tsp turmeric
  • ¼ cup oil
  • 2 tsp ginger
  • 1 Tbsp cumin
  • 1-4 cloves garlic, chopped (to taste)
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • Salt (to taste)

Wash and drain the lentils. In a large pot heat the oil, and then add thinly sliced onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, salt and, cumin, and chili powder. Fry until golden brown and crisp. Add the tomatoes and stir well for about 10 minutes.

Add the water and heat until it reaches a boil. Put lentils in the pot and continue to cook at a full boil, stirring frequently, until the lentils are half-cooked. Finally, put on the lid and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve hot over rice.

This recipe serves 6 people.

Copied from: http://orb.crs.org/resources/recipes/recipe-archive/#pakistan

No comments: