Thursday, March 24, 2011

Lenten Workout

Alas, we have just passed two weeks of offering up meat for Lent and I must admit it really has been a sacrifice. (What I generally do NOT admit to most is that there are more menus listed as: 'cereal' than I care to claim) I have tried a few recipes on the family such as: "Sweet Potato and Bean Burritos" and "Meatless Rendang".
Let me put it this way...after we had eaten under my creative watch for nearly a week and I informed the masses (as Dad was on a business trip) that there would be the above-mentioned "C" word for dinner, my dear son Noah whoops it up and states...and I quote..."Woohoo! Something good for dinner tonight".
I must explain to you the feelings I had at that moment. I do believe that my Lent has taken a slight bent from my intention, but isn't that always a bit true? I have had very good ideas for the past several years for Lent and had been derailed by a seemingly yearly bout of stomach flu with the kids or something that prevented me from offering what I wished to bring to God for a sacrifice.
It seems that both God and life have a better idea of from where my sacrifice should come. Perhaps it is many nights of "C" for dinner as a sacrifice. Perhaps I am learning to just be patient and, though my aim is sincere, my goal should be more to respond with grace and acceptance instead of our dear Martha in the bible who feels 'put out' that her service is not given more attention or accolades. A humbling moment for this momma, but a good lesson in itself upon reflection.

No comments: